Monday, January 14, 2008

Musée des Beaux Arts by W.H Auden

Simple poem with a profound / philosophical message! Here is where the problem lies. Sometimes I just feel I am so stupid because I couldn’t get the points of what all the poets in the world trying to say…or is it that I do not find pleasure in exploring their points? Or is it that I like to make my very own meaning out of it? What ever is it…it is literature – something to be appreciated and analyzed. Doesn’t it sound funny? Do you analyze something that you appreciate? Well I doubt I do. Hmm… let’s compare love and literature (as both deals with arts). You appreciate love and that is the reason why you don’t analyze it right? May be that is why people say love is blind. In the case of literature since you analyze it – it has eyes! Justified-deal!
Well, let’s get back to the track. The poem entitled Musée des Beaux Arts by W.H Auden is what I want to talk about. Reading the poem once…well to be frank it didn’t make me to even look at it again. Why? Well may be I didn’t take my regular cup of coffee and that made all the difference. The title in the first place weren’t attractive and the poem –DuLL. That is what I thought initially but after a few readings, I found something interesting, something thought provoking and that made me to think. The first stanza itself sounds motivating. The third one focuses on the painting of ‘Fall of Icarus’. Then I got the connection. It is something that is very general in the beginning and has been specified towards the end. It is about life! No matter what happens in this world- life still goes on! Thank you W.H Auden for the reminder. We will be discussing this poem in class next week or shall I say in 3 days times. Let’s see what happens…to be continued.

No comments: