Monday, January 14, 2008

Fall of Icarus- the painting

Browsing the internet, searching for the painting entitled “Fall of Icarus” I found ample of images popping up. However, there were only two images that were very close to what I was searching for. The first one is a painting which involves two human with wings, one falling and the one looking at it. The other painting is hardly focusing on the fall of Icarus but in a way it is more attractive and lively. Looking at it closely, I realized that only the legs of Icarus sticking out of the water. Perplexed which is the most accurate one; I printed out both of the paintings.
After much discussion with my fellow friends, I was convinced that the painting which is more colourful and basically not focusing on the fall of Icarus is the exact one. The question “why this one” kept popping in my mind and to answer that I went back to the internet and yes I got the answer! The painter Peter Breughel actually in a way wanted to portray that the Icarus event as a non-significant one. He is telling the world that what ever happens life still goes on! The sun is still shining, the ship is still sailing and…and…
Discussing the same issue in class, I think I am on the right track.

No comments: